Action Research

I was introduced to action research in Dublin City University and use it as my research approach as I study my own educational practice.

An influential definition of action research is

… a form of self-reflective enquiry undertaken by participants in social situations in order to improve the rationality and justice of their own practices, their understanding of these practices, and the situations in which the practices are carried out (Carr and Kemmis 1986).

I understand action research within the context of living educational theory. This is a growing area of comprehending education, encouraged by Jean McNiff and Jack Whitehead.

I understand the result of my educational research as personal, as value laden, as practice based, as rigorous, as unique and singular to my context and always open to new possibilities.

Research, I believe creates ongoing dialogue with the possibility of further growth, rather than arriving at final certainties.

To understand educational research in this context you might like to read an article of mine from the Educational Journal of Living Theories. Click here.

Posted in