Moodle Meitheal

MootApologies to regular readers of this blog – life caught up with me after the MoodleMoot – only back in action late this week. I hope you all had a great Easter.

Community is a word we hear used around many social-media applications, used perhaps too easily in many respects, where all we mean is that we shoot threads of information around, without any real committment to change.

The work community was much in use around the Ireland and UK  MoodleMoot in Dublin last week.

It brought to mind the Gaelic word meitheal which I have used on this blog before.

Meitheal means “...the idea of community spirit in which neighbours respond to each other’s needs“.

It was very interesting to observe all the strands at work in one space, the developers, the teachers, the linguists, the open-source specialists, the coders, the accesssibility promoters, the vendors and so on – all genuinely interested in each others work.

It was also interesting to view the Twitter stream after the conference.

Just under 5,000 tweets were posted under #mootieuk12.

Moot organiser Gavin Henrick has made a spresdsheet available of them (here) that others can now use for Twitter community visualisation.

I don’t think the technology will ever fully capture the community but there is no doubt that an analysis of the tweets will provide researchers with rich data about strands of thought and priorities.

There was a lot of emphasis at the Moot on the Moodle community using the Tracker to report issues.

There is a sense that Tracker is only for developers – that mindset is a challenge and is one that Helen Foster has called on us to face up to.

Moodle is about all the people I mentioned above, creating community.

From the tweets, from the participation, from the photostreams, from the presentations – there is no doubt about the Moodle Meitheal – community at its most productive.

Thanks to James Clay for the photo above (James’ photostream here).

2 comments

1. Lashawn

1) Recommended migration path for Moodle 1.9 to Moodle 2.0.2) Plugin deenolpmvet: Definition of a list of most wanted plugins and a framework supporting the cooperation of developing wanted plugins. What I would like to see is a forum for exchanging ideas for the deenolpmvet of plugins and support for interested parties to collaborate and combine resources for developing these plugins.3) Discuss how to create a community for developers. The current communities are mostly directed against either users or system admins.

2. Pingback: Mr G's Idle Musings » Blog Archive » My Diigo 04/13/2012